Archive for January, 2011
Posted on31. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
There are signs that the job market is slowly heating up. So, I want to take this moment to share my thoughts on an often broken system after new employees are hire. But first a little context… During the interview process, the hiring manager will sell the value of working for the company. Easier said, [...]
Posted on27. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
I heard a disturbing quote: “We kill off leaders.” The person went on to list leaders like Martin Luther King, JFK, Ghandi. These are literal examples. Yet there is another meaning to this quote: it is our human nature to put a stop to a person’s actions that intend to usher in something new, different [...]
Posted on26. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
Be ruthless with your time. Kill off the time-sucking activities that distract you from your daily and life purpose. And in the confines of business, that means demanding all meetings be effective and efficient. We all have a shrinking pool of time. It is rude to call a meeting that is ineffective and poorly facilitated. [...]
Posted on25. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
As a new CEO/President, the odds are stacked against me to succeed. Fellow leadership blogger and all around great guy Dan Rockwell, aka Leadership Freak, recently cited a sobering statistic on this topic: 40% will “crash and burn within the first 18 months.” Ouch! A natural response to overcome such odds is to hunker down [...]
Posted on24. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
A recent study on employee engagement from Blessing White revealed that 52% of those in their research felt neither engaged nor disengaged. The other 48% went like this: 31% are engaged; 17% are disengaged. That’s some good news. Translation, the majority is or wants to feel connected to their work, to be a contribution to [...]
Posted on19. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
What value does your word have? When you commit to do something, do people believe it will be done? Do you? When you speak is it with purpose or to fill space? Do your words add to a conversation or merely cause confusion? Do you know when not to use your words – to be [...]
Posted on18. Jan, 2011 by Shawn Murphy.
I finally watched “Wall Street Money Never Sleeps.” A key message in the movie is that we, as fallible human beings, make choices that drive us down familiar paths, repeating mistakes over and over. Sure it’s Hollywood dramatizing truths and the stories of our lives. Yet, the message is hard to dismiss. What change in [...]